This position is responsible for work of moderate difficulty and varied nature, providing clerical, administrative and planning support to the Planning, Building and Zoning Departments. The employee is supervised by the Planning Director. Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires incumbent to be sensitive to change and responsive to changing goals and priorities.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding customer service skills, as well as the ability to convey code information to a wide range of customers through written and verbal means. Following a good code of ethics is essential. They will have the ability and knowledge to make sound judgment calls, while working efficiently with a results-oriented focus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
These job functions may not be a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees may be assigned additional duties by management as deemed necessary.
- May utilize discretionary authority after consulting with Planning Director to interpret and apply City codes, comprehensive plan, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to zoning, land use, and site development.
- Tracks assigned projects from initiation to project approval, excluding building permits.
- Provides support for enforcement of City codes and ordinances to the Code Enforcement Department.
- Provides technical assistance to the public, appointed officials and other departments.
- Interfaces and communicates with the public, outside agencies, and consultants regarding zoning, development and the comprehensive plan in the management and development of the City.
- Prepares written project analysis and staff reports, after consulting with the Planning Director about the report outline.
- Attends local planning and zoning, board of adjustment, community redevelopment agency, and other public meetings as required, including night meetings as assigned by the Planning Director.
- Provides information to developers, attorneys, and residents on plans, applications, development codes and policies related to land development within the City.
- Maintains department files and plans in accordance with Florida Records Management practices, policies and procedures;
- Assist with scheduling Fire Marshal and Zoning Administrator inspections and meetings;
- Assist in maintaining and purchasing office supplies;
- Assist in maintaining and updating electronic forms, hard copy and electronic files and applications;
- Assist the public with basic planning related inquiries, such as property zoning and future land use map classifications, allowable uses, conditional uses, accessory uses, and nonconforming uses;
- Assist the public with various planning related applications;
- Update website for Planning Board packets, and as requested by Planning Director;
- Assist Planning Director as needed with the preparation of City Commission agenda items;
- Prepare agendas, record minutes, advertising notices and coordination of City Advisory committees (Planning Board, Historic Planning Board and others)
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Researches and assists in the preparation of updates to the comprehensive plan.
- Attends Planning seminars, meetings, and trainings as instructed by the Planning Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of local codes and regulations relating to planning and zoning.
- Knowledge of current and comprehensive planning principles and practices.
- Knowledge of state planning laws.
- Knowledge of GIS systems to integrate data with electronic maps is preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe programs.
- Skill with computer programs, such as Office, ArcMap, ADG, Adobe.
- Skill with communications in English, both orally and in writing.
- Skill with communications in public hearings and meetings.
- Skill with interpersonal relationships.
- Skill with typing rapidly and accurately.
- Skill with research and analysis.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings.
- Ability to read and interpret maps.
- Ability to prepare and maintain all planning related documents and reports.
- Ability to understand and interpret complex written material, analyze facts, exercise judgment and arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, other City employees and the general public.
- Ability to walk, stand, or sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate assigned equipment or vehicles.
Education and/or Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in Planning or related field is preferred. A valid driver’s license with a good driving record is required. The applicant must be physically able to operate a vehicle.
Prior Planning experience is preferred, but not required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel in this position.
An individual must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Apply online at: